Are you thinking about taking firefighting as your career? It will be important if you familiarize yourself with what is required for this occupation.
The first thing you need to know is that the requirements may vary depending on the jurisdiction. However, some of the requirements are cut across.
In this article, I will give you some of the requirements you may have to fulfill to secure a firefighting job in New York.
To qualify for the next exam in the New York City Fire Department, you have to be between 17.5 and 29 years of age. Here are the other things you have to fulfill to get the position as a firefighter in New York.
- Pass the physical and written exams
- Pass a background investigation and medical exam.
- Be a citizen of the United States
- You will also need to have 15-semester credits from a recognizable college.
- Have a vehicle driving license lawful in the state of New York
- Be a lawful inhabitant of New York City’s five boroughs, or living in Orange, Putnam, Nassau, Westchester County, Suffolk, or Rockland.
- Hold a CFR-D
Ohio firefighter requirements
Here are the requirements you will require to be a firefighter in a small town
- You will first have to get the application
- You will then have to send back the application form accompanied by your birth certificate copy, your diploma certificate, or the equivalent and a copy showing your records of high school.
- You must take the civil service exam (this exam covers general knowledge on current events and various subject types.
- In case you attain the top spot depending on the available openings, you will qualify for the next step
- You will have to pass the physical test.
- Succeed in a psychological and polygraph exam
- You will also attend an interview with the Fire Officers Board
- Other interviews that will follow will be from the Fire Chief, Human Resource Director, and the City Manager.
Which firefighter requirements are common between a large and smaller city?
- You have to take and succeed in the physical exam
- In both cases, you will have to take a written test
- You have to succeed in the physical agility exam
- You have to hold a high school diploma
- In most case, you will likely to participate in an oral interview
Which requirement are the most important?
Although all requirements are important for you to get a job as a firefighter, one tends to hold the others. The thing is, you have to take the written exam seriously and attain the best results.
If you fail in this test, you will not be considered as a firefighter candidate. Make sure to prepare your best and do your best on the test.
However, this is not to scare you, people have done it and you can also secure the position. Research as much as you can before sitting for the test.
You probably know how to go about this since you did it on your high school exam. The firefighter exams are not that challenging, all you need to do is preparing yourself well for the paper.
The written Test
This is the test that you will have to sit for, to qualify as a firefighting candidate. As said earlier, the exams are not co plicate.
For instance, the Piqua OH will require you to pass the civil service test. Is this not an easier test? If not so, you have the time to prepare yourself and achieve the required scores.
You will need to succeed in the written exam for the New York City fire department to consider you.
This test is designed for the applicants and tests their knowledge about firefighting.
Since you have considered this as a career, you will not complain about this, you have to show them that you know what is required of you in the task.
However, firefighter tests tend to be tough. You may have to tackle more than 100 questions. You will be given 3 hours to complete the test. Do you want to know about this exam?
You can take a look at the James J Murtagh book, Barron’s Firefighter Exams. In this book, you will find samples of tests by the NYC fire department.
This will give you insights into what to expect for your next written exam.
Standing out of the competition
What you will have to keep in mind that securing a job as a firefighter can be hard these days. This is due to the competition in this industry. Maybe most people are realizing how this carrier is of benefit.
Whatever the reason, you will have to showcase yourself as the best candidate. For you to get that badge, you will need a college certificate and of course studied some firefighting-related courses.
Having a paramedic or EMT experience will be an added advantage. But, you do not have to worry.
You can use the internet and secure as much information as you need about the exam. There are vast websites on the internet with helpful information and guides to becoming a firefighter.
Take your time and go through the requirements, process involved in the application, and some of the sample questions likely to be in the test.
After succeeding in the written test, you will increase your chances of getting a job as a firefighter.
In case you are considering making a career as a firefighter, make sure to have the know-how on what is required.
To help you kick start your career, use the above information, and have the background knowledge about firefighting and the requirements. It is not easy when you do not know what is required of you.
Some of the basic things you should know about being a firefighter is that you need to be fit health-wise, pass the written test, which might be challenging, and have a driving license.
You will also have to do well in the agility test. This is the exam that tests your firefighting skills. Moreover, your success in the oral interview plays a major part as well.